The rains and sunshines of my life: Budding, blooming, and withering...

Friday, March 03, 2006

Wish Upon a Shooting Star

Or on your 21st birthday. But make sure you don’t waste it like I did. This happened quite some time ago (3 months ago) but I will never forget my stupidity for it. *Sigh*

My most favourite cousin was lighting the candle (yes only ONE, I think she wants to reset my age to 1 after 2 decades wondrous life) on my (cheese) birthday cake for surprise (*I’m so surprised*), when I caught her. It seemed that she couldn’t find any source of ignition for my candle and asked me for match/lighter. Absent mindedly, I called out ‘no’ (she was in the kitchen) from the dining room. Actually, I was suffering partial brain dead from 1Si. I remember I had to OT up to 7pm!!! On my birthday!!! ON MY 21ST BADAY.. er.. BDAY!!! Anyway, she remained ‘busy’ in the kitchen, but I never guess a thing as I was entertaining my aunt and my grumbling tummy. Then I heard, ‘tak’! Tiak! TIAK! TIAK, TIAK TIAK! It didn't even register to me what the heaven she’s doing in my kitchen, trying to ignite my stove (which is partially cacat*-ed). Only after several (unsuccessful I spos) tries, I decided to investigate.

She heard my footsteps. Before I even caught a glimpse of what she was attempting, she had already hidden the (small) cake behind her back. So I gave her that ??? look. And I think she thought I had saw, and brought out the cake from her back. OK, I was surprised. Really. I mean with all the food, I didn’t seem to remember birthdays come with cakes. She asked me to blow out the candle. I can’t remember if it was lighted in the end. I think not. Anyway, I took in my deepest breath to ‘blow out’ the candle. At the second I was about to puff out my whole lungs, she screamed ‘STOP!!!’ and was protecting the ‘lighted’ candle with her hand. Make a wish, she said. And as I was having faulty problems with my hand phone since few days back and getting tired of receiving more and more (impatient) messages, naturally it just popped out of my mouth. “Wish my handp hone is working again.”

My cousin gave me a blank look like I just said the most stupid thing (I now agree, but it was relatively important back then). Anyway, I ‘blew’ the candle. And as I was enjoying the cake, my hand phone, miraculously functioned (normally) again! Yes, it worked! And I meant both the wish and my handphone.

So you see, I had so ingeniously wished for something so ‘important’ on my 21st birthday wish that I do not hope anyone else out there does worse than me. Looking on the bright side, at least i DID save some money of sending the malfunctioning phone for check-up. So be careful about what you wish for! Don’t waste it!!!

Oh, and thanks dearest cousin... Your sincerity probably touched someone in heaven and made him / her gave my hand phone a flick of wand.


*cacat = handicap (Malay)

No comments: