The rains and sunshines of my life: Budding, blooming, and withering...

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Handphones, Shopping & Relationship

My dad just got his new Motorola super duper thin handphone. Seriously, it’s so thin I think I can karate it into pieces. Ha ha … My handphone looks obese next to it. It’s about 3 – 4 times thicker than my Dad’s. Otherwise (for those who have no idea of my handphone size) it’s a 20pages exercise book’s thickness. One day I think handphone will be paper-thin, or maybe, something invisible that just tags along its owner. These gadgets are shrinking like nobody’s business.

I shall not complain. I still love my handphone as much as the first time I saw it. And even more now that it’s elaborated all over with creative yet artistic marks (lines and scratches). And I will always remember what I vowed when I first bought it for RM1k, that I will use it till the end of my life, or its life, whichever shorter. Ha ha… Anyway, if anything happens to this handphone again (I lost my last one), I will live without one. I think (and hope) it’s achievable. Unless another one comes free, or money drop from sky (or jackpot), I will very much stick to my vow. -_-"

The same goes for my wallet. Burnt a hole in my pocket (or bank) when I bought it. Actually it’s not that expensive (for branded and quality ones), but I tend to make myself to take super good care of branded stuff. And make it last loOOoong. Like, for the lifetime. ;)

So which kind of shopper are you? Are you the kind that grabs stuff in excess quantity but relatively cheap/ reasonably priced? Or the type that buys (real) expensive one and makes sure it lasts long? I know some people buy things in quantity. Their policy is, if one spoils, there are many more backups. And it also may be convenient to have more as you can place them all over the place for easy access instead of depending on one (which might get lost). But I fall in the latter group so I usually shop for quality. Of course, before I ‘meet’ the ‘destined’ one, I stick to cheap but usable products (some stuff like watch and wallet are hard to live without). And when we ‘meet’, I stay loyal to it forever. Or so I vowed.

The same is true and applied for relationship. Before meeting someone of my resonance, I just stay friends, which may be richer than what outcomes from a relationship. And when the destined one is here, it’s happily ever after. Yea, kinda like a dream in that starts with once upon a time… I know, unrealistic. Slap me, wake me up. Haha… A friend always told me no pain, no gain. But I think at this state I’d rather to have no gain than any more pain. (Lucky she’s not around to debate with me this time ;P). Call me cowardy cluck cluck but I’m just too lazy to be bothered if it’s not worth (in my opinion that is) it.

Yesterday didn’t post as usual because I was … erm occupied. Lunch time was dragged out to eat. So hot! Got 5 star aircond, spacey, clean food court in 1Si they don’t want to enjoy. They choose to walk under the 12 noon sun, drive with 30 cents more expensive petrol to a hot, crowded, noisy coffee shop. I guess they are bored lah. Anyway, it was an interesting lunch. Erm, as in their gossips are nothing like the ones I heard in office. ‘Better’ gossips?

One of them (the gossips I mean) amazed me. They were talking about a guy (I mentioned him here before but better keep it as anonymous as possible). This guy had 5 girlfriends to date (as in till today). I have no idea what happened to the rest but he’s currently with the 5th one. The 3rd one was engaged to him already, when it somehow didn’t work out. The amazing part is, when he broke off with the 3rd one (she left him actually), he bought few prospective newspaper ever since. Guess why? He wanted to ‘catch’ the marriage announcement in newspaper of her. Just to see her picture again. And JL said he, without fail, every single day since the broke up, flip though newspaper for the news. After 4 years of flipping, one day he finally did see her picture. And for one second, my imaginative mind thought he saw a bad news instead. Well, no, it’s not a drama here, but real life. She did get married to another guy. And this 1Si guy who flipped the newspaper for few years was beh-song (unsatisfied) because according to him that guy doesn’t seem to be any better than him (looks).

I don’t understand why guys can’t understand that most (sensible) girls don’t think looks are important. If it comes along, it doesn’t hurt, but if it doesn’t, it’s no big deal either. Mainly because it’s the heart that can touch ours (girls' heart), not looks. Of course, it is always a plus if you put effort into presenting yourself in a respectable manner, but we do not expect more. And it is the effort that you bother to put in, not the outcome of your outlook that makes it a plus. May be I should speak for myself (as some girls may disagree with me).

Whatever it is, the 4 years of flipping still amazes me. And JL said he actually told his current girlfriend about the news and she just wonders what his girlfriend’s reaction is (about him flipping for picture of his ex). Haha… Like JL said, and I believe what most girls out there think, they’d rather not know (about the flipping news). White lies are preferred. Whereas for me, I totally agree it is a good way, but my own preference is to know everything. Because to me trust and honesty and cold but true facts are more important than anything. Some truths are not exactly melodious to the ears or heart, but all the same, I can take it because I’ve been through more than what most of you know. And I trust whatever we share (friendship, ‘sisterhood’, etc.) between us can survive it.

Wah, today a bit lohsoh. Must be making up for yesterday’s absence. Hehe… There were more from that lunch, but I guess another time, another day.

No comments: