The rains and sunshines of my life: Budding, blooming, and withering...

Friday, March 24, 2006

Don't Worry, Be Happy (2)

Hmmm… I kind of forgot that I ‘promised’ that I would share more on the ‘Don’t Worry, Be Happy' book by the medical graduate monk until someone pointed it out. Hehe.. thanks.. Ok so this post will be bringing another excerpt from that book.

/Once a man and his son were taking a donkey to the market. As they were walking, some people saw them and remarked, “Look at these fools, why don’t they ride the donkey?” The man heard this and asked the son to ride the donkeu while he walked alongside. An old woman seeing this remarked, “What is the world coming to? Look at that young man riding comfortably while he make his poor father walk!” So, the young man got down and this time the father rode the donkey. As they went along, a young woman passing by said, “Why don’t both of you get on the animal. So they listened to her and both rode on the animal. Yet another group saw them and said, “Oh! What a poor animal. It has to carry those two fat good-for-nothings! How cruel some people can be,” By this time the father and son were getting fed up. They decided to dismount andcarry the donkey instead so as to stop everyone from talking. This led people to laugh and said “Look at these human donkeys carrying a donkey.”

When you try and please everyone, you will end up pleasing no one, and in the end, you will only land yourself in trouble. You can never please all lecturers. As long as you are not totally wrong, it would be good enough. You can never listen to everyone as well. You may listen for opinions but eventually you have to listen to your heart and make decision that is best for yourself. Nobody knows you better than yourself. Trust your instinct and decide what is best for yourself.

Don’t try to please everyone when you try to please everyone you will end up pleasing no one./

There! That’s (exactly) what I always have in mind. So just take note, I don’t drift with crowds. I walk my own path. Sometimes it (my path) happens to be within the crowd, but other times I just need to take another way. The worst mistake you can make in persuading me to do / go something / somewhere is by saying “Everyone’s doing/going” (yet it seems to be the reason most people think will make me go/do what they want). Because if you have everyone behind you, why else would you need me? ;_)

I know everyone (especially the college / university society) will always try to keep up with the ‘in / hot / happening’ stuff / group. It is not that I disagree of them. As I said, I tend to think that since everyone is doing it; why else do you need me? I can do much more at something no one else pays attention to/ care about. And if that something has expanded enough to maintain well, I will leave for other less sighted things.

For example, you are running a charity event / collecting donation. I will donate / participate if (in my idea) you need more support. If I see everyone else rushing and lining up and even competing trying to donate / buy your tickets, I would think you have more than enough support. It is not that I do not want to support you. You have more than enough! It is synonymous to eating a whole pot of rice on Monday and then starve for the whole week! There are many charities we can do out here. There are too many unfortunate people. We cannot just focus on what we can see, because the really pitiful ones are usually left unseen and unnoticed. It is a really saddening fact. Therefore, isn't it wiser if we spread it out a little more uniformly?

I respect your decision to be with the group, why should my decision not to follow be any different? It is not that I purposely want to isolate from the group. I do follow sometimes. But if I see another need somewhere else, I will let go of those who need me less. My participation / absence in a large crowd would not affect much. Yet, in another totally neglected group, it may make a great difference. After all, we all have one aim right? To help the needy? I am still doing the same, be assured, but it may not be seen or as established as what most people would like to be involve. Charity, all should always be reminded, is not a popularity contest.

While we dine in expensive clothing, and relish on enticing dishes with perhaps the most luxurious silverware, for maybe just a night, it could have fed a number of famished people long enough to save them from starvation. I do not agree with you, but it does not mean I am against it (e.g.: I don’t like you, it doesn’t mean I hate you). You may think, “What? We have earned our right for this lavish life!” Which is why I am not against it, but I choose not to follow it. Because our priority may be different, thus we tend to take different choices. No one is more right than the other, because the right and wrong is only in the eyes of the beholder. And if you ask me, no one is wrong, because you judge the rightness and wrongness based on with your priorities. If your priority is to get 4flat this semester, of course fooling around is (more, but not entirely) wrong. Whereas if your priority is socializing, mugging an “Idiot’s guide to socializing” all day long will never get you there.

Okay I sound like a preacher. Bottom line is: If I want to, I don’t need persuasion at all. But I sincerely thank all concerned friends who willingly share their sincere thoughts with me. I am a human after all; I still need reminders. Thank you very much. Lesson ends here today. :P

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy, what a colorful blog you have here. Hehe.

Rain said...

Hehe, I'm a colorful person! ;P thanks for dropping by. Where r u now? Home (msia)??

Anonymous said...

nope. hehe, still at school. going home in 5 weeks time. cant wait...when are you gonna be done with 1Si?

Rain said...

I C... I tot u grad already? Dont want to leave US isit? hehe... erm I'm currently in my 17th week of internship, of the 32 total weeks. So well, I'm just a bit after the half. I'm rotting in my office (with exceptionally lots of things to do). I want to grad! I want to grad! *-_-"

Anonymous said...

This is gud! click with wat i think! Been blaming some of the shit ppl in my uni, for doing so well in some other club (which make them fame) n dun wan contribute to our buddhist club (which almost die) Anyway, i thought the other way which is their priority is diff n cant blame them. haha So click wt ur idea of priority huh! hehe

Rain said...

Ya, evry body diff priority mah.. if every body alike, how boring...