The rains and sunshines of my life: Budding, blooming, and withering...

Friday, March 17, 2006

Communication Means (exc Hp)

Talk about being out of touch. After moving to my new house for 3 whole months, I still can’t get used to the idea of being out of contact. I am only reachable via my handphone, and I can hear some of you say that’s more than enough, but trust me it is not. Whoever thought, snail mail would still be as important, and telephone (permanent line) are actually still a gadget of convenience.

Because recently I have been busy with something and that something happen to require filling in lots of forms and all of them requiring permanent address, which I naturally filled my current new one. But you see, the thing is I do not know which address to put. The developer has informed us of our actual address but it seemed most official letters (which safely arrived to our new home) were using different address (using SL and L*), while the address provided by the developer only uses house number. And the other thing is, our house has no number yet (as in we haven’t put up the number sign as it is still not ready), and trust me the numbering of houses in our area is not running. So after few weeks, I am still waiting for the ‘package’ to arrive, but it (or they) did not. So my mum had this brilliant (in a way) idea to post ourselves a letter and see if the postman actually knows the running pattern of house numbers in our area. After one week, there was no news. But the day before yesterday, I saw the envelope with my mum’s writing addressing (the number address) to me in the mail box. Yes! So now I am waiting for my packages to arrive. But isn’t it a bit too slow (even for Pos Malaysia standard) to take like 2 weeks to deliver a Kuching letter to a Kuching address? Now I wonder how long I have to wait for my packages as they are international.

So how important is the telephone then? Yeah, practically everyone has a handphone, kids, teens, adults and even the ah mahs (grandmas) and ah peks (grandpas). I think babies would have too if they are able to actually hold then as they mumble gibberish. But then, handphones are not capable of getting you on net on streamyx. *Arrgghh* the frustration of being net-less. So again, I asked my efficient mum to chase after the Telecolm people who are taking ages to get us our lines. The record of getting a line from Telecolm I heard from a neighbouring housing area (TJB1) was 8-9 months! By then, I’d be rotting in UTP with an even better line. *yeah rite* So then Telecolm advised us to get CDSM / CSDM or whatever C (shit in Cantonese) it is, which is a wireless phone line that requires RM135, RM70 for phone set and RM 50 for installation and another fee for something else. But that line only allows dial up connection not Streamyx. Better than having nothing for the rest of my time in Kuching right? Then it happened that Carrot’s mum (who works in Telecolm) went to school (where my mum works) so my mum asked her about the CSDM thing. She checked and advised us against it since it is really unstable as the signals are really weak. Then she told us our area should get lines by the end of this month (yeah!) so let’s sit back and see if Telecolm is working up to their Gantt chart.

Tomorrow is an important day, to me (and my future’s future) at least. I hope I ‘do well’ and everything goes smooth. Though the process has not been smooth and actually backfired and shot me in the chest, I will still pick myself up and go for it. I had known making the Choice A wasn’t easy, so whatever bombs they have in arm for me I am ready to take and endure the wounds and continue walking towards my dream. All I can say is, it is at least the least of a dream I can have and achieve. They can as much rip off my right arm, I will learn to use my left arm and still achieve it. But maybe things are easier said than done. And maybe I’d rot in hell for it. But if I have never done it, I will never know.

* SL= sublots, L = lot.

No comments: