The rains and sunshines of my life: Budding, blooming, and withering...

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Memoirs (2)

My kindy times passed without much significant memories. I have moved in with my parents full time. I remember we moved quite a number of times. We stayed somewhere before, I can’t remember the name though, and then moved to Star Garden. After Star, we moved on to Matang Jaya, where most of my childhood memories are. The neighbours on my right had a son. He was about my age. But they were very unfriendly; not only to our family but also to the whole neighbourhood so most people do not bother about them.

We had wonderful neighbours on our left. The uncle is involved in lion dance troupe. Every Chinese new year we would have lion dance troupe to both our houses. The lion dance troupe then was terrific (compared to the ones this year)! I forgot what I used to call him. They have 3 children (I thought 4 but I can’t remember the 4th so let’s stick to 3); two daughters and a son. The eldest daughter was like an elder sister to me. Her name is Lian Hua which means water lily (I think). She’s quite pretty, slim and tall. The second daughter is called Xiao Mei. I used to wonder why they call her ‘little sister’ because she was not the youngest in the family. I also wondered if they would call her ‘Da Mei’ when she grew up. The wonders of children’s thoughts. Their youngest son (I forgot his name, did I ever know?) is the same age as my sister so he should be 15 this year. I remember this because the auntie next door helped to take care of both of them (her son and my sis) together when my mum had to work. We were like brothers and sisters. The memories are vague but I remember we always parade together during lantern festival.

I made quite a lot of friends in that neighbourhood but I can’t remember most (or any) of their names. I remember a girl about my age staying opposite my house used to be my cycling companion. There was a Malay boy, a little older than myself, whose name was Zul. Why did I remember his name? Back then (was about 7) when I asked his name he replied in a small voice. I was not familiar with Malay names yet so I thought I heard ‘Zoo’. Haha… when I thought back, it seemed really funny that I called him ‘Zoo’ all the time. He was a really nice boy. It was quite a nice circle of friends I had back then. Nevertheless, as we grew up we didn’t keep in touch because we went to different schools and started to have our own activities and circle of peers.

Back at school, as you may have guessed, I went to St Teresa’s primary school. I was in the yellow class, the babies of the year. We were sorted into class according to our birthdates; Red class for Jan to April, May to August in Blue and Yellow for September to December. I cannot remember my first day in primary school. Funny, but it must have been insignificant then. I also can’t remember how I got to know my friends. I think my earliest friends I can recall in my memory are Jenny and Kelly. I always admire Jenny because she has beautiful handwriting (and my mum never failed to remind me of it). I had a problem then because I was very slow in writing. I often fail to finish copying what teacher copied on the board. Jenny is always my lifesaver. I forgot why I was so close with Kelly but the three of us were just inseparable like the three musketeers. And we drive the teachers nuts (or so they think) because we talk a lot. Every year during the Parents day, I would have the same comment, that I talk a lot.

I used to join the dancing class in school when I was in primary one and two. I forgot how and why but most of the time back then I just do what is asked. So it must have been my parents’ / teachers’ intention. But the dancing did not last long when I finally had an idea of my own and thought it was too girlish for me. Plus, I definitely wasn’t (and still isn’t) a stage person.

When I moved to primary 4, we had streaming and we (Jenny, Kelly and I) somehow drifted off. Kelly was in Blue class, while Jenny and I were in Red. Being the kiasu kids, we competed (every recess time) to get Kelly as our friend. Somehow it wore off, and Kelly was better off with her new Blue friends. I made another new friend, Jennifer. She was a pretty girl and I think still is to date. She is fair and has nice features. I visited her during Chinese New Year and after that somehow again that friendship drifted apart. Later I found myself among the mischievous monkeys i.e. Eing and gang. Yes, and that talkative comment on Parents Day were without fail. I get severe scolding for it, and I guess it was then I started to detest (erm, not really detest la, just don’t bother) talking. I think it builds up my habit of only talking when necessary. As you can see, my whole primary school was full of everything but studies. I had no idea what studies was all about even. Not surprisingly, my results for UPSR were not idealistic.

If you asked me a teacher I would never forget from primary school, it would be Cikgu Sabri. He is a loud teacher with fearsome tempers. I was really scared of him for he walks around the school with a fat stick in his hand, ready to whack. I can clearly recall one of the rubbish collecting session with him. Our school has this system that every class will take turn to be responsible for school cleanliness every day after recess. We would go around picking rubbish. Our school compound comprised of un-shaded area, field and shaded area which is the hall and the canteen. The hall and the canteen are separated by a divider wall. I forgot what triggered his volcano that day, but it erupted and everyone was running for their lives. He was charging from the hall, and everyone ran towards the canteen, and when he came over, everyone was on the other side. Something like playing, eagle and chicken game but of course a whole lot scarier.

As my school is a catholic school, there was bible class. Somehow I followed it. I go to church too, with my classmates and friends. My mum was hoping me to be a good kid. I did learn quite some bit about Christianity and nearly (but somehow did not) baptized when it was the time for most of my friends to. I could not understand why after all those years I did not become a Christian. But maybe Buddhism was waiting for me somewhere down my path.

Outside school, I started music lessons at the age of 8 or 9. You could imagine my excitement both before and after the first lesson, but in total opposite manner. Before, I was so excited to get my hands on the electronic organ. After, I couldn’t wait to get my butt off the chair. Little did I know it was just the beginning of my years of music class. The agony and torments through the years were unbearable. I whined and complained and rebelled at every lesson, and practically did not practice at all. My parents who were music illiterate could not do much since they won’t know even if I had made a mistake during my practice. I played pieces blindly (substituting complicated, out-of-reach chords with simple ones but blending in tune) just to satisfy their request of making me practice. But they soon got tired of it so I had it my way.

When I was about 11 or 12, I was first introduced to Buddhism by the Sunday Dharma class in Kuching Buddhist Fellowship. I learnt my most basic and got my first understanding in Buddhism over there. The teachers were very compassionate and patient with new learners like me. The lessons were conducted in Chinese which made it even harder for me as I am not Chinese educated. Nevertheless I enjoyed the classes and it felt like another family to me. They helped me through a lot because I was even having trouble reading the text. They thought me the basics of Buddhism like the name, history and basic teachings of Buddha, all of which I totally had no idea of before. They also thought me the right way to hold the joss stick, steps to bow to the Buddha, and the right walking pace for the chants. Because it was a small class, they could pay attention to all and ensure that all the students know the appropriate ways. Whenever there are any new students, the basic teachings will start all over for them and for older students it would be a practice. Therefore, all the students in Kuching Buddhist Fellowship Sunday Dharma class knows the right way of basic Buddhist’ movements.

I made a very close friend there, Sylvia whom I later lost contact with and was sad over it for quite some time. However, other friends were just as nice and they were really friendly and helpful. I remember a girl being nicknamed ‘Ping Guo’ which means apple, and she really does remind me of an apple. She has a bubbly character and is ever so smiley. She has rosy cheeks (just like an apple) and she’s always helping me out in classes. We had a lot of activities but I can only remember participating in one of them (due to parents' contraint). We went to the Matang Family Park and had a picnic. There were game sessions as well. At that time, Sylvia was still attending the class and both of us stick very much to each other so I did not know many people well. But it was through that picnic that I made some bonding with other friends. That was also the first and only activity and bonding that I ever had with them. Sad to say that if I were to see any of them on the road today I don’t think I can recognize them anymore, not even Sylvia. But I think I still can remember Apple’s face, though she may look different now.

No comments: