The rains and sunshines of my life: Budding, blooming, and withering...

Monday, March 13, 2006

Weekend and Memoirs (1)

My weekend has been… contradicting. I had finally taken the first and hardest step in realizing my Choice A. And it went so well! I am so happy. I could have practically flown. I didn’t expect it to be so easy mah. Now with the first and hardest step overcame, I can proceed full swing into the choice. Yippie!!! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the steps. I really, really hope I can get through it as smooth as I want.

The contrasting part came later. It was somehow minor (for now) but still spoilt my soaring mood. Have you ever felt you tried so hard yet not getting the anticipated outcome? Well, it’s kind of tiring and depressing. Used all my effort and strength to ‘protect something’ yet in the end the other party just couldn’t care less and won’t even spend one second thinking/ considering what may befall should the person proceed with the person’s action. Anyway, I got over it. I’m kind of occupied (and dead beat) myself lately so I just told the person what I thought; I wouldn’t go to the extra length just to ensure whatever the person did nothing bad would outcome. I think I’ve got to stop being such a busybody. I’ve got to stop thinking 10 light years ahead and start seeing tomorrow. Yeah, that’s what I’ll do. Well, at least till I recover from my exhaustion to be a busybody again. ;P

Today, SPM result is out! Guess how St3 is doing? 18 straight A1s and 31 straight As! Of that, they have 17 with 10 A1s and 1 with 11 A1s*! Think this is the best achievement so far since my year. The only year that finally beat my year I think (can’t remember how many in my year around this figure too). The years before this, the number was so pathetic that I don’t need to remember my year’s numbers of achievers to know that we are still the record scorers. Keep it up Teresians! Oh yeah, congratulations to Carot or rather to Crystal for achieving a brilliant 10A1! How come now got 10 subjects? Not 9 meh? Unless she takes Music or Bible or.. or Accounts? Hmmmh… I am out of secondary education system for too long already. Out of date.

I’m thinking of doing my memoirs. Bit by bit. I mean most of you probably know part of my life. So I’ll start from what my first memory illustrates.

My earliest memory is of me banging my little head and limbs into the gates. Yes, very smart. When I was little and not schooling yet, I was taken care by Aunt Nyari**. She has two sons, one of which was of my age. Evidently, he became my first playmate. During weekends, my parents and my aunts and uncles and cousins would go for a picnic at Matang waterfall. It’s always a simple get together but fun. *Sigh* Life as a toddler is so nice!

After the eventful weekend, Sunday night is usually a torture for both me and my parents. I’d have to return to my aunt’s place but I just won’t listen. So they have to ‘lie’ to get me get to my aunt’s place and ‘lie’ to get me to sleep but I just wouldn’t even blink. I’d make all sorts of reason to get up from the ‘sarong’ (the buoyant that swings to make kid’s sleep) and walk around to stay awake, e.g.: going to the toilet for the zillionth time for the night. Well, eventually after a painstaking night, I’d fall asleep.

The next morning I usually wake up with a startle. Of course, my parents would be gone by then and I’d do the banging (hands and head). When I get tired, I turn to my cousin and get him to play with me. Even though I cannot remember much of our playtime, but I’m sure he didn’t bully me because I’d never forget those who do. ;P So, basically that’s how the first few years of my life past.

Soon, I enter the schooling phase. I liked it so much because now I get to stay with my parents. I still vividly remember my first day in St Jude. Everyone else was crying. I felt nervous but was gulping it back. I think made a deal with my parents that I would go to school without fuss if I want to stay with them. After school, Mum fetched me to her workplace. She works in the St Teresa’s secondary school which is just next to my kindergarten. Somehow after a while, she didn’t think it was a good idea, so I was arranged to follow a classmate’s transport back to my grandmother’s place. I remembered the first time how I struggled, nearly ripping off my mum’s gold necklace off; just to get into her car.

After the first time however, I liked the idea because I get to play with my ‘favourite’ cousins at my grandmother’s place (my grandmother is staying with Aunt Jane**). So, usually I have fun with Jessica and Jonathan until my parents pick me up. We enjoy games like the tissue-eating competition, anti-cpain-pinching etc. Jonathan usually invent mean games that put Jessica and I through pain (yet we were stupid enough to put up with it because we didn’t want him to call us babies) until he grew ‘out of us’. Looking on the bright side, Jessica and I never grew out of each other till today. We’re still as crazy about each other as we were 2 decades ago. And we’d persuade grandma to bring us to the nearby shop to get some junks or candies. We also usually wait for this grandpa (not our grandfather but a relative somehow) because he’d give us some junks/ candies/ money!

Well, I think that’s where I’d stop for today. I shall continue again another time.

**Aunt Nyari is my mother’s sister in law of her second brother, third among 7 siblings. They have two sons. Robert (Wei Ming), her first son is already married (by now) to a really (VERY) beautiful Kenyah (I think) girl from Miri and he’s even got a son (Miguel Dylan) last year who shares the same birthday as me! They are currently residing in Miri. Her second son, Robin (Wei Tiong) was my earliest playmate. My latest friendly memory of him was I think he tried to teach me to swim in the Damai pool. He is currently working in Komag, Kuching. I haven’t seen him for quite some time and I guess we are becoming strangers. Both her sons are good looking (mixed parentage), tanned and tall and have that tough look and obviously very unavailable.

**Aunt Jane is my mother’s eldest sister, second among the siblings. She has a son, Jonathan, and a daughter, Jessica. She is married to Uncle John who was the headmaster of St Joseph’s primary school. He is now retired. She’s currently working as a secretary in (erm, not sure of that building’s name) Bangunan Sultan Iskandar (?... How come got sultan name?). Anyway, it’s the building where you go for JPA scholarship interview or to make My Card or passport, etc; the government building at the King’s Centre flyover. Jonathan ventures his way to be a professional hair stylist and is currently undergoing his training program in KL. Jessica picks up her fathers footstep and is taking the TOEFL program in IPBA (Institut Perguruan Bahasa-Bahasa Antarabangsa), Petaling Jaya. For your information, Jessica is this smart kid who used to be the routine number one in her class, skipped primary 4 (after the primary3 exam, forgot the name) and also an ASEAN scholarship recipient (but rejected the offer!). She was the Head Prefect, and also Head Section Leader for Red Crescent society. I can’t keep the record but there’s more. I think she’s trying to beat her Dad’s head (master) title, by collecting the ‘head’s title before she even graduate from St Teresa. Maybe that’s why she’s a bit sot (crazy) in her head. ;P

*statistics may not be exact but nevertheless around there; will confirm again ASAP.

No comments: