The rains and sunshines of my life: Budding, blooming, and withering...

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Thomas/ Uber Cup

"The Yonex Thomas & Uber Cups Japan Finals 2006 will be held in Sendai and Tokyo from 28 April until 7 May 2006. IBF is inviting applications from line judges interested in being a part of this prestigious event." If I were there, I would have tried… but most probably rejected right out on the spot. Haha...

Oh man, I am interning so I probably won’t get to follow it. I rmr the past few years when I was in UTP, I watched it 3 times? Eh, how is that possible huh? Since Thomas/Uber is held one in two years. I think one of it is Malaysian Open? Olympics? Let me see, first time should be around special semester. I watched with my rumate and a bunch of seniors. Well, I remember the seniors were on the verge of breaking those plastic chairs due to their excitement (jumping). Haha… 2nd time (2nd year), I was watching from my own room in V2 (got a TV not long after). I rmr Fish nagging me to study Microprocessor but that was just not very possible. In the end, I studies MicP with a sad, heavy heart throughout the nite to face MicP in the morning. The last time I rmr was in the new V3 watching with Grace, who was certain I (watching the game) was jinxing Malaysian team (every time I watch they lose points and when I go somewhere else, they win). But Malaysia as always never fails to fail… This time around, would they fail to fail? Will they win?!? The victory drought is just too long!

Let’s have a look at the potential victorious team. I bet China immediately came to everyone’s mind. They have such long winding line of experienced and skillful players (not to mention good looking) that they have to take turns to let different players be exposed.

“The men's single event may even cause problem for Li Yongbo for his selection, as no less than 6 players are up to the job, with Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai, Chen Hong, who have been the most regular of the Chinese in the past few months. Yet Xia Xuanze, 2003 world champion, has proven recently that he was back in form with a final in Switzerland. And his experience has always proven its worth in team competition. Not to mention Chen Yu, very solid and Chen Jin, the new kid on the Beijing block, who has stunned the world of badminton by his speed and stamina at only 19. The tough choice however could be a blessing when it comes to take turns in the team and allow some of the key players to rest for the later stages.” For more, click here.

Meanwhile, Indonesia has also consistently proved to be a strong team. Although it is said that their performance has droop considerably recently (due to Sony’s injuries and Taufik’s absence from all tournaments to prepare for his wedding on Feb 4th), no doubt they are still a threat to our team.

The youngest player who once stunned the world

... Taufik Hidayat
Chan Chong Ming and Chew Choon Eng jubilate after levelling the tie for Malaysia
As for Malaysia, the line sees to Lee Chong Wei, Wong Choong Hann, Hafiz Hashim and Kuan Beng Hong whom are labeled ‘with the ability on good days to beat any player in the world’. Too bad these ‘good days’ doesn’t seem to be often enough huh? It seems though that the doubles have been performing well, earning the label ‘top form’. Lee Wan Wah and Chong Tan Fook, then Chan Chong Ming and Koo Kien Keat will be the leading pairs, but will be backed up by what others view as ‘hidden weapon’ of Malaysia, to stun the world.
However there is a disturbing factor for the Malaysian team as Lee Wan Wah who carries Malaysia’s hope seems to suffer knee injuries serious enough to be left out for the qualifying rounds in India. This leaves our team to be represented by only 5 players.

Lee Wan Wah, serious knee injury...

"He still has a problem with his knee. It still hurts when he bends. If this problem is not fixed, he may have to forget about playing badminton. We (the coaches and support staff) have decided that it is better to reduce the number of tournaments for him to play in."

Rexy said that there would not be any replacement for Wan Wah for the Thomas Cup qualifiers, where new scoring system will be implemented. For more, click here.

Whatever the obstacle, performance and progress is, I am sure the most anxious party to win this tournament would be the players themselves. So let us all Malaysian put our hands together and pray our hopes banked on them will be returned with sweet victory. Go, Malaysia Boleh!

No comments: