The rains and sunshines of my life: Budding, blooming, and withering...

Thursday, March 16, 2006

UTP Supervisor Visit

The past Wednesday, my UTP supervisor visited me in my host company. To tell you the truth, I did no sort of preparation for her visit, because it was just a visit afterall, no evaluation. However, that morning I came over a template of IT visit report, so I decided to do it then (8:30am). It was short and simple but quite a rush since I had to come up with a Gantt Chart all of sudden (recalling activities I have done and drawing the stupid graphs). Nevertheless I finished it before she arrived (despite her arriving half an hour earlier).

Anyway, before she arrived (her visit scheduled at 10am), I was afraid she couldn’t get through the security house (who are quite fussy when they are very free) far away from my office. So I decided to remind SH, whom I had passed the SV visit letter a week or two ago to let him prepare the paperwork for her entrance. I went down to HR office, and saw a crew of weird people edging each other out of the way. I use crew because they were wearing really weird attire. I mean, you’d know in a millisecond that they are not 1Si employees. As time was not very generous at that moment (was 9:20am), I didn’t bother and cut through them.

Then I walked into a very ‘proper’ HR office. I mean, usually HR is kind of busy with the hustle of people pacing back and forth. This time I only saw a guy in the pathway, totally blocking my way to SH. So I excused myself and he gave me a weird look but I went on (no time to analyze what looks meant). It was after a while when I realized there was a SHOOTING in HR. I saw a camera first, then the lightings… Oh my, I didn’t know where to duck. Why in the universe is there a shooting in 1Si (and at this time on this day)?! But, I think I’m convinced the camera didn’t shoot anywhere near my angle.

Anyway, I found SH and he actually gave me the blank look. He already everyday has the huh-which-planet-am-I-on look, but today, I am ready to believe he didn’t know which universe he is in. Gosh, he flipped here and there, and then said he lost the paper I passed him. He mumbled something like he received more than 10 documents a day. Oh hello… I receive like 20 to 50 a day and I don’t go around losing them. Some more he asked me if I was sure I gave it to him. Duh! I mean, I was really sure so I said yes, but he seemed to be waiting for me to flick out my wand and ‘acradabra’ my paper out from his desk. Anyway, he didn’t find it in the end. Probably threw it away when I gave him.

So I asked him what to do to get my lecturer the permission. He said verbal permission is accepted too. I waited for him to pick up his phone and call the security but he did not. We stared at each other for a moment. I don’t know what he was waiting for but I was sure waiting for him to take some action so that my lecturer won’t be stranded. Then after an awkward silence…

Me: Er, so just call the security?
SH: Yes.
Me: (wondering if he meant I should call myself) So… who should call the security? Do I ask my manager for that?
SH: (look taken aback) Sure, can if you prefer so, but I can call also.
Me: (okay you can call but you are not calling and my lecturer may arrive any minute now) So, when should… erm, you call?
Sh: Oh, when she arrives.
Me: So I have to let her know to let me know to let you know to let the security know before she can enter. (can’t you call them now?!)
SH: Yes (pleasantly)
Me: er.. Okay (confused). Thanks (and went back to my office).

I had just reached my seat when CH came to me and said Ms Suhaila was waiting for me at the lobby. I even received an SMS from Ms Suhaila saying she arrived. Aiyoh, so paiseh keep her waiting but I had to wait for KC who had to inform HM then had to drag SL to come along. The rest went well.

After the meeting Ms Suhaila needed SH signature since he’s the one who gave her the permission in, he needed to sign to prove that he met her and she did not linger around snooping or spying. It went like this

SH not at his seat, so we asked CH.

Me: Excuse me, Ms CH, my lecturer needs a signature for this pass to allow her out.
CH: Oh hie, Good morning bla bla bla.. (greetings with Ms Suhaila and introducing themselves)
CH: (looking at piece of paper) But it’s for SH.
Me: Yeah, but he’s not here… (don’t know what to say)
Ms Suhaila: So can you sign on his behalf?
CH: No, no I can’t. I’ll get him to sign.

SH walking in with his ‘macho’ walk.
CH: Mr Wong, need you to sign here.
SH: Why? (in the tone a kid asks why when asked to do work)
Ms Suhaila: Cause I’m a fan! (enthusiastically) Haha…
SH: (Quiet. Signs the pass.) Okay, done. (Looks up at Ms Suhaila) So,…
CH: This is her lecturer (motioning from me to Ms Suhaila)
SH: (seemed just awaken from deepest slumber) Oooooh, you are the lecturer! Oooohhh… Look like a student too HAhahaha
Ms Suhaila: Thank you, I hope that’s a compliment. ahaha…
SH: Hahaha

(The rest of formalities) and Ms Suhaila left about 10 minutes after, while I returned to work. :(

No comments: